The Centre Furnace Mansion, originally built in the Georgian style of a five bay, 2 1/2 story dwelling, is now a museum and headquarters for the Centre County Historical Society.
The original house was a center hall four-over-four, with the main block dating from about 1830. The mansion was re-modeled in the early 1860s in the Victorian style, and from 1842-1891 was the home of Centre Furnace iron master Moses Thompson, his wife Mary Irvin Thompson, and their children. It was renovated again in the late 1900s and early 2000s.
This historic mansion and nearby iron furnace stack represent the 18th century beginnings of the charcoal iron industry in the central Pennsylvania area, and the 19th century beginnings of The Pennsylvania State University.
The Historical Society operates a museum at the mansion, which is home to various community exhibits and events, and is available to rent for weddings and other events.