Grace Lutheran Church at the corner of South Garner and East Beaver Avenue, is built of local fieldstone and steel, and is a soaring example of mid-century modern architecture. It features a 89-foot spire with curving sides, which form the basic shape of the building.
Listed in the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission as an example of Religious Buildings, the church was designed by Harold E. Wagoner of Philadelphia and was modeled after the chapel of Notre Dame du Haut by the Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier.
Wagoner, 1905 – 1986, was a prominent twentieth-century American ecclesiastical architect who designed more than 500 notable churches in 36 states. He was an instructor in architecture at the Drexel Institute of for more than 20 years. His design for Grace Lutheran Church received an Award from the Guild for Religious Architecture in1964. The 2013 addition of a classroom and activity center was designed by KTH architects.
Grace Lutheran is know as a center for many community activities and services such as the State College Meals on Wheels and a pre-school program, and its organ is used for many public concerts.